Britain’s Cal Crutchlow looks set to turn his back on the MotoGP championship and return to World Superbikes unless series boss Carmelo Ezpeleta can find the tools Crutchlow needs to challenge for race wins in 2013.
The Coventry man was gazumped for the factory Ducati ride by current team-mate Andrea Dovizioso and with no other works bikes available, Crutchlow is considering a move back to the production-based series where he will be able to win races and have a chance at the championship.
He is set for a meeting with Ezpeleta at Brno this afternoon in order to try and find a solution to the problem but the anticpated announcment of his MotoGP plans for next year will not materialise in the Czech Republic.
"There’s no decision to make. I am not going to stay here and earn no money to ride against people who are on 40 times my wages, it’s as simple as that. To go and challenge for fourth, fifth sixth in races, have the odd podium next year and you’re racing against guys who are cruising around in limos every week. Unfortunately, for me it doesn’t work like that," said Crutchlow, speaking to Brno.
"The situation got worse today, not from my side, but it’s not the situation of Herve (Poncharal, Tech3 team boss) is not good enough, it’s just that private teams don’t have enough money and sponsorship to be able to do it. Gone are the days of guys earning a decent living in privateer teams. Why would I stay and bust my balls when I can go somewhere else, earn a decent living and challenge for a title?
"I’m not racing for money here, I’m racing for a chance to win. Herve and Tech3 can’t give me a factory bike, you’re not going to win on a satellite bike, it is as simple as that. I’m not saying I’m going to win, I’m saying you have to have the chance to win on a factory bike. I’m not saying I’m racing for the money but at some point in my career I need to earn a living out of it.
"I can go back to World Superbike, earn a living and challenge for a title and win, potentially, races and a championship. So at least you have a shot at winning. I need to assess the situation and see from now on but the decision won’t be this weekend."