Michael Laverty to run Vision Track-backed British Mini Bikes youth academy| David Miller | Minibikes
Former MotoGP and British Superbike star Michael Laverty has teamed up with Vision Track to start a new and free youth academy inside the British Mini Bike series.
Laverty is one of the most experienced and level-headed riders in the country and will be able to give advice to all the academy entrants on everything from sleep and diet to dealing with the media, as well as the obligatory track sessions.
But without solid backing, the academy would be on shaky ground, so Simon Marsh from VisionTrack - the firm which title sponsors PBM Ducati in BSB - is on board as title sponsor, making it the Vision Track Michael Laverty Academy.
“In Britain we end up with our best riders in their 30s because it takes that length of time to develop the skills required to reach the peak,” Laverty told bikesportnews.com.
“I am a big believer in the 10,000 hours rule which is as long as it takes to become an expert at anything which is five years’ worth of working 40 hours per week.
“We want to try and shortcut that the way the Italians and Spanish do with a lot more track time and learning from a young age so when they reach the age for a Talent Cup or Red Bull Rookies try-out they are ready and prepared.
“I will provide tuition myself and bring along instructors who will be professional racers using kart tracks, dirt tracks, all the things that at ten you need to be learning - but it needs to be fun too.”
The British Mini Bike Championship will be the home of the Vision Track Academy, with its ever-growing rider and support base.
The Championship will create the infrastructure for the academy to run and provide a well-organised, safe platform for juniors to make it to the next level and have fun trying to get there.
How it works
- The remainder of this season will be used to identity and spot talent for the chance to be in the academy in 2021
- This will be done by Michael and his team at BMB race meetings
- All junior classes will be observed
- The identified riders will be invited to a selection/test day at the end of this season (est 30 riders)
- Riders will be selected on numerous criteria including an ability to learn, desire, love of the sport and Manners to name a few
- The selected riders will carry on running in whichever BMB junior category they wish
- Will receive coaching and guidance from Michael and his team
- Run under The VisionTrack Michael Laverty awning which each member will receive
- All bikes will be uniformed in graphic/fairing design under the VisionTrack banner
- Be taken to experience days at MotoGP and BSB events
- Invited to private test days
- Each rider will ride for their place each year to keep their place for the next year
- Academy riders will be watched through the year to be invited to a selection day at the end of year to have the opportunity to gain a place for the next year